A Whack on the Side of the Head How You Can Be More Creative edition by Roger von Oech George Willett Health Fitness Dieting eBooks

"Business Brilliance." — USA Today
"Roger von Oech has won a loyal following around the country."
—BusinessWeek
"This may beat consulting the I Ching."
—Fortune
For more than a quarter of a century, one book has been a consistent leader in stimulating creativity and innovation A WHACK ON THE SIDE OF THE HEAD.
Now Roger von Oech's classic work is back — and better than ever — in this special twenty-fifth anniversary edition. Revised and updated with new ideas, this definitive edition offers more stories, examples, and exercises to bring its famous innovation boosters to a modern generation. Learn how to
• Overcome the ten biggest mental locks and unleash the full potential of your mind.
• Use the four roles of the creative process — Explorer, Artist, Judge, and Warrior — to generate and apply new ideas.
• Exploit the power of discontinuity, constraints, and "playing the fool" to find the "second right answer" and much, much more!
Roger von Oech's seminars and products have enhanced the creativity of many millions around the world. His clients have ranged from IBM, Apple, and Disney to Coca-Cola, NASA, and Sony. He's the author of four books on creativity, and the popular Creative Whack Pack (both card deck and iPhone/iPad App). He's also the inventor of the amazing "Ball of Whacks," and the "X-Ball" and "Star-Ball." He earned his Ph.D. from Stanford in the "History of Ideas." He lives with his wife, Wendy, near Palo Alto, California.
A Whack on the Side of the Head How You Can Be More Creative edition by Roger von Oech George Willett Health Fitness Dieting eBooks
I read through the book and tried to apply it's ideas to some projects I was working on, but didn't find it very useful - I found the humor style pretty corny, and the techniques it talks about seem mostly to be the author amusing himself with his personal fascination with metaphors. "How is your problem like an eggbeater" doesn't generate that many useful ideas for me, compared to many other possible, more focused techniques and thinking tools - I think our brains are naturally good at metaphors, but that doesn't mean we should sit down with a list of random things and try to connect them together by force of will - better to let the brain find connections naturally I think, from its years of experience and memories of the world.It's core principle of "what's your 2nd and 3rd idea" (paraphrasing) is a useful one though - think of many possible solutions instead of just going with the first one.
The writing style was a bit tedious to me too - take one theory or statement, like "people use metaphors", and then fill pages upon pages of anecdotes that support that theory ("when people are tired they say *burning out*"). Plus some name-dropping of big corporations he's taught seminars too. Felt like the signal-to-noise ratio was low - the number of useful ideas & techniques was small compared to the amount of redundant pontification on each one.
I also read "Conceptual Blockbusting", and that book has been more helpful for me - covers a wide range of possible techiques and approaches, and creative blocks to watch out for, where this one seems to focus on just a tiny subset of that book's breadth, despite a similar number of pages.
A lot of people found the book entertaining and helpful obviously - maybe the style just didn't resonate with me personally, or covered stuff I already feel like I have a handle on.
Product details
|

Tags : A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative - Kindle edition by Roger von Oech, George Willett. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative.,ebook,Roger von Oech, George Willett,A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative,Creative Think,Business & Economics General,Psychology Creative Ability
People also read other books :
- Gourmet World Favorites An exquisite culinary journey SizzlingPots edition by Sizzling Pots Cookbooks Food Wine eBooks
- The Professional Bride Billionaire Marriage Brokers Book 3 edition by Lucy McConnell Literature Fiction eBooks
- Boondock Saints "The Lost Gig" Exclusive PreCursor Book Boondock Saints Troy Duffy JB Love Eben Matthews Toby Cypress Innfusion Studios Books
- The Thunder Bird B M Bower 9781515126317 Books
- Dao of the Evil God Volume 2 edition by Sakuya Yatogami Children eBooks
A Whack on the Side of the Head How You Can Be More Creative edition by Roger von Oech George Willett Health Fitness Dieting eBooks Reviews
A great work that is as relevant now as when my father read it to me when I was ten.
I found this to be a very entertaining read and did often have me looking at things from a different perspective. I will have to take a look at the author's whack pack to see if it can help stimulate more ideas.
I found a lot of value at the end of the book when covering the second whack. Understanding where you are taking your ideas is key and knowing when you need to be in explorer, artist, judge, or warrior mode is a great way to think about it.
An artist friend introduced me to this book years ago (in an earlier edition). I still give away copies. One of the best books for 'thinking diffrent'. Great to use as a team read, especially with the 'whack pack'.
As a reader from HK, I actually read it over at least 5 times in the past.
Every time I got new things out of it. I'm Loving it!
So happy to have this ebook version now. Waiting for Roger's Kick in the Seat of the Pants
ebook version!
All Roger's books, app, and Whack tools are far far more than 5 Stars!
Very very stimulating.
Whack the left and right side of my head, especially the right side.
Thanks a lot, Roger for your timeless great work!
I think everyone should read this book. The contents open the readers mind to ways to avoid a mental rut and open their minds to new possibilities for creative problem solving.
This book is old but wow. It's a great way to look at things differently. The writer must of been a neat guy. It will help you think outside the box for sure. Also, it's full of good facts about how people think and how to find answers in places you never thought of before.
Sometimes you just need a whack on the head to unleash your inner creativity. Not literally of course - I'm speaking metaphorically (which I learned is an important tool of creativity). This classic book originally came out in 1983 and was updated and republished for it 25th anniversary. It is an engaging quick read, filled with quirky drawings and fun facts that will hopefully jolt you out of your comfort zone and inspire you to be more creative. It is structured as 10 mental locks which you can train yourself to recognize and "unlock". They are 1) The Right Answer 2) That's Not Logical 3) Follow the Rules 4) Be Practical 5) Play is Frivolous 6) That's Not my Area 7) Don't Be Foolish 8) Avoid Ambiguity 9) The Err is Wrong 10) I'm Not Creative.
Don't think that I gave everything away. You actually need to read the book and do the exercises to benefit from the author's wisdom and experience - he has had a long career as a consultant to companies that want to teach their employees how to be creative. Like any self help book, the difficult part is making a change in your thinking and sustaining that change. I like the last part of the book called "A Whack on the Other Side of the Head" which addresses the fact that creativity alone is not enough - you actually need to implement your best creative ideas.
I am going to focus on one mental lock at a time, starting with the "Right Answer" Lock. The idea is that when you think you have arrived at the right answer, ask youself "What is the second right answer?" And just keep generating ideas.
I read through the book and tried to apply it's ideas to some projects I was working on, but didn't find it very useful - I found the humor style pretty corny, and the techniques it talks about seem mostly to be the author amusing himself with his personal fascination with metaphors. "How is your problem like an eggbeater" doesn't generate that many useful ideas for me, compared to many other possible, more focused techniques and thinking tools - I think our brains are naturally good at metaphors, but that doesn't mean we should sit down with a list of random things and try to connect them together by force of will - better to let the brain find connections naturally I think, from its years of experience and memories of the world.
It's core principle of "what's your 2nd and 3rd idea" (paraphrasing) is a useful one though - think of many possible solutions instead of just going with the first one.
The writing style was a bit tedious to me too - take one theory or statement, like "people use metaphors", and then fill pages upon pages of anecdotes that support that theory ("when people are tired they say *burning out*"). Plus some name-dropping of big corporations he's taught seminars too. Felt like the signal-to-noise ratio was low - the number of useful ideas & techniques was small compared to the amount of redundant pontification on each one.
I also read "Conceptual Blockbusting", and that book has been more helpful for me - covers a wide range of possible techiques and approaches, and creative blocks to watch out for, where this one seems to focus on just a tiny subset of that book's breadth, despite a similar number of pages.
A lot of people found the book entertaining and helpful obviously - maybe the style just didn't resonate with me personally, or covered stuff I already feel like I have a handle on.

0 Response to "[DUH]≡ Download Free A Whack on the Side of the Head How You Can Be More Creative edition by Roger von Oech George Willett Health Fitness Dieting eBooks"
Post a Comment